Easily develop Skill Builders perfectly suited to a reader’s needs.
Materials developed using our Designer Module can be saved for personal use, shared within a unit (classroom, school), or saved into our Skill Builder Library for use by anyone using the Reading Success Lab software.
Examples of custom developed Skill Builders:
- Material drawn from graded reading texts. Performance on the Skill Builders can be used to place the student with material of the appropriate difficulty level.
- Grade level vocabulary lists drawn from statewide curriculum standards.
- Skill Builders that provide both accuracy and speed information on teacher or tutor generated materials that have particular value for the teacher or tutor.
- Skill Builders performance on beginning and end of year on reading tasks using local curriculum materials.
- Skill Builders that measure acquisition of foreign language content
- New vocabulary in required textbooks derived from the subject matter index of the books
- New vocabulary mandated for grades in statewide standards
- Spelling lists
- Vocabulary lists for statewide testing programs or for ACT or SAT preparation
- Foreign language word recognition
Examples of special Skill Builders based on custom materials:
A vocational student is studying for licensure as a plumber
- The teacher or tutor develops Skill Builder intervention materials based on terms and vocabulary found in plumbing instructional materials.
- The student uses the customized Skill Builder to develop fluent reading of plumbing terms.
A ninth grade student is having difficulty reading a biology text
- The teacher or tutor develops Skill Builder intervention materials based on terms and vocabulary found in the subject matter index.
- The student uses the customized Skill Builder to develop fluent reading of biology terms.
A tenth grade student is preparing for the SAT test
- The teacher or tutor develops Skill Builder intervention materials based on the SAT study materials.
- Our instant click dictionary access builds vocabulary learning
- The student uses the customized Skill Builder to develop fluent reading of the SAT vocabulary study terms.
A fourth grade student is having difficulty with spelling
- Skill Builder intervention develops materials based on the spelling lists.
- The student uses the customized Skill Builder to develop fluent reading of the spelling terms. This in turn facilitates the ability to spell the words.
Steps in using the Custom Designer:
- Choose whether to use an existing Skill Builder as a template or create a new Skill Builder
- Name the new Assessment or Skill Builder.
- Enter instructions for the new Assessment or Skill Builder
- Enter the content for the Assessment or Skill Builder into an easy to use template.
- When custom words are entered into the skill builder a recording of the words (using test to speech software) is created and saved.
- Save the new Skill Builder.
These Skill Builder sets are available for purchase:
- Letter recognition
- Syllable recognition
- Word families (suitable for kindergarten and grade 1)
- Grade 1-Grade 8 words
- Content area sets, like social studies and sciences
- We have many more sets in development!